Non-U.S. Citizen or Resident’s U.S. Source Income and Associated Withholding
Why we send you this form:
We must report:
- Reportable U.S. source income earned by a foreign person (or entity) regardless of withholding done on the payment, such as dividends and capital gains.
- Retirement distributions paid to a foreign person regardless of withholding on the payment (no Form 1099-R will be issued).
- U.S. federal tax withholding, if any.
You may need to file a U.S. tax return to claim a refund of any withholding. Please consult a tax advisor.
You may not receive this form if:
- You were considered a U.S. person for the entire tax year (i.e. U.S. citizen, U.S. resident, etc).
- The only distributions you received during the year were from non-reportable sources (such as the gross proceeds from the sale of shares on a non-retirement account).