Form 1042-S

Non-U.S. Citizen or Resident’s U.S. Source Income and Associated Withholding

Why we send you this form:

We must report:

  • Reportable U.S. source income earned by a foreign person (or entity) regardless of withholding done on the payment, such as dividends and capital gains.
  • Retirement distributions paid to a foreign person regardless of withholding on the payment (no Form 1099-R will be issued).
  • U.S. federal tax withholding, if any.

You may need to file a U.S. tax return to claim a refund of any withholding. Please consult a tax advisor.

You may not receive this form if:

  • You were considered a U.S. person for the entire tax year (i.e. U.S. citizen, U.S. resident, etc).
  • The only distributions you received during the year were from non-reportable sources (such as the gross proceeds from the sale of shares on a non-retirement account).

Related articles:

  • Year-End Tax Tables – To help you prepare your tax return to obtain refunds of withholding on Qualified Interest Income and Qualified Short Term Capital Gains.
  • If you or your tax advisor feel that the withholding on your payments is not correct, please complete and return a new Form W-8.