There is a distinct difference between leadership and management: You manage structure and systems, but people must be led. Occasionally, you find both these capabilities in a single individual, but rarely. The vast majority of great leaders are, more often than not, supported by one or more outstanding managers; people who can keep the trains running on time. For every Walt Disney, there was a Roy Disney. General George Patton’s strategic vision needed the more empathetic and detail-oriented General Omar Bradley for implementation and Ronald Reagan needed James Baker for the same reasons.
To help you and/or your chief of staff build and manage your structure and systems in order to create a more predictable and high performance environment, we have created many tools which reside on the OppenheimerFunds CEO Advisor InstituteSM App for iPad. But this program is designed to help you become a more effective and impactful leader.
Expanding your ability to influence and persuade those around you requires an adherence to and/or under- standing of the following five areas:
- The Comfort Zone: The most insidious and persistent adversary to achievement and fulﬁllment is your comfort zone, which incrementally and often imperceptibly, compresses around you if you are not constantly pushing out against it.
- Foundational Principles: These are universal truths that govern success, failure and fulﬁllment over time: Adhere to them and your life tends to work out; violate them and it tends not to.
- Diagnosing Underperformance: An eight-point sequential checklist will help diagnose why someone is underperforming or failing and provide steps to help them out of that tailspin, if possible.
- Pattern Recognition: Understanding that people don’t have problems, they have patterns; patterns that, if corrected or short-circuited, can shift the trajectory of their personal and/or professional life.
- Motivational Structure: Moving from a purely external motivational model to an internal one; from an exclusive focus on What and How to a model that incorporates WHY.
Download the complete Transformational Leadership Toolkit for actionable resources to execute on these insights.
These views represent the opinions of OppenheimerFunds, Inc. and are not intended as investment advice or to predict or depict performance of any investment. These views are subject to change based on subsequent developments.
For Institutional Use Only. This material has been prepared by OppenheimerFunds Distributor, Inc. for institutional investors only. It has not been filed with FINRA, may not be reproduced and may not be shown to, quoted to or used with retail investors.